The Sense of Taste

Discussion in 'Φ v.1THE COCKNEY TRANSLATER!' started by Rose, Apr 20, 2015.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Rose

Rose InPHInet Rose Φ Administrator

chicken.8.png

• nod nod x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Rose

Devin Nunes' Tri Tip tonight...
    upload_2022-9-11_21-9-59.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  3. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

Yesterday's extravaganza featured fresh, homemade Bolognese Ragu (I did use canned tomatoes, but I made the arribata - better than passata cuz spicy XP - from certified italian san marzanos) over Tagliatelle Al' Assassina 20220904_185909.jpg

I was out of onions, so instead I substituted finely diced green and red bell pepper (1/2 each) in the soffrito (mire poix). I started cooking at ~10:30, the whole thing went on auto pilot at about 12:00, and I finished the Bolognese around 6:30.
    For the water level in the Bolognese, as well as the dilution when preparing the Tagliatelle, I used a rich tomato stock I had leftover from making a huge batch of Passatta earlier in the summer, at a 1 to 1 ratio of sauce to stock (I was running out of big enough mixing pots).
    Additionally:
    The meat came to ~1.5lbs 73% lean, 23% fat ground beef
    1 lb italian sausage
    .8lb small-diced uncooked bacon.
    Also, when I mixed in the mince, I also threw in the leftover Mire poix from the chuck roast braise from a week earlier.
    So not only was this recipe stand-alone fresh and awesome, but it included the resources left over from previous instances of stand-alone fresh and awesome into a giant smorgasborg of fresh and awesome.
    Noodles al'Assassina is a particular way of cooking the sauce into the noodles that gives it a slight char, which produces slightly bitter notes alongside the robust and rich tomato and beef sauce flavor of the bolognese. Individuals with a slightly less refined palette might not appreciate the char, as more than one person reported, so char accordingly. The slight spicyness of the Arribata, the sweet sourness of the tomato, all blending together for a full taste experience.
    And the thing about bolognese; it's one of those sauces that gets better the longer you cook it.
    And the only ingredients are olive oil, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
    The simplest ingredients, when time and care are provided, can produce one of the most iconic sauces that serve as the base for countless more iconic dishes.
    And that's the base concept behind what I'm working on/toward over in MiM.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  4. Rose

ok, what I am seeing out in the world is troubling all over tonight...
    I am thinking I will discuss tonight's dinner...
    So, things to do with the left over braised roast...
    By, the way it is surprising how well it will save for longer if carefully frozen.

A very light minute or so in the microwave and you never knew it was frozen.
    So, shred or cut it up...
    Take out some corn tortillas.
    To heat tortillas, I place them in my pottery soup bowls with a salad plate on top.
    Microwave for 1 minute, turn over and another 30 seconds.

So, I have been using a queso sauce rather than a red chili sauce these days.
    Small frying pan...
    1 plus a little T butter
    1T flour (your preference, but I use a good whole wheat)
    Make a roux.
    1 C milk. I don't keep milk here.
    I use 1 C water, but I have good artesian well water.
    If I had city water, I probably would not do this unless in a pinch.
    But I use this:
    upload_2022-9-1_22-27-0.png
    Just one T per cup of water for this.
    So, pour in the liquid and wisk as for this type sauce.
    (Also works well for Alfredo)

Add 1/4 C (I like hot style) salsa
    and 1 t of this:

upload_2022-9-1_22-29-7.png

I use this for a lot of purposes in mexican/spanish style dishes.

(Note: I leave out the cornstarch and don't use as much sugar. In fact, I don't use sugar at all. I prefer to substitute a smaller amount of Stevia or Xylitol. Both are natural sweeteners with positive rather than the negative effects of sugar. As a matter of fact, Xylitol made from the Birch Tree is knowned to prevent and even heal cavities instead of cause them. For some recipies such as barbeque sauce, I substitute maple syrup. To use this seasoning for fajitas, I add a little arrowroot as a sub for cornstarch.)

Where was I?
    Ok, there is not much more.
    Keep going with that sauce and when it is looking good.
    Turn the heat way down and add:
    1/2 shredded sharp chedder cheese.
    The queso sauce is ready...

So, I measure out enchilada sized piles of the shredded beef and put it in a small bowl.
    In this case I am only making 4 good sized enchiladas for two people.
    So, put some of the queso sauce in the bowl and blend it with the beef.
    Place it on 4 pre warmed tortillas..
    Roll them up, divide them on a pottery plates with portions of brown rice and refried beans.
    Then another dinner plate on top of each.
    If you want you can place in the refrigerator in the afternoon untill your dinner time.

Dinner time just requires a 3 minute microwave per plate to be perfect.
    Side tortillas heated in salad bowls with a salad plates on top for 1 minute, turn 30 seconds...
    Served with butter and extra salsa.

Ok, I will need to give you the refried beans receipe later.
    It takes a while to prepare a large batch, but can be frozen in portions.
    They can be microwaved slightly to unthaw good as new.
    They take a day to soak, a day to slow cook, and then preparation completion.
    So, you don't want to be having to do this all the time.
    These beans digest very well.

It is already eaten so I can't take pictures, but it was beautiful.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  5. Rose

I was just prepreparing the fries I spoke of in pub a few days ago..
    This is how they look after a 3min Microwave, drying, drizzled in oil, seasoned and 4 min pre air fry.
    That is two batches. To microwave I just cover with another plate.
    bfries.JPG

This is the air fryer I am enjoying:
    upload_2022-8-30_17-6-29.png

upload_2022-8-30_17-6-57.png

After a preprepare the fries crisp up nice in the time it takes to make a sandwich att 400 air fry setting.
    Air fry at 400 works for many food you wish to crisp.
    I will admit to you I used to buy frozen ore-ida.
    I am embarrassed.
    These can be frozen after the prepare and are much better.

This is a seasoning I use for fries and many other purposes:
    upload_2022-8-30_17-10-35.png
    Commercial Seasoning blends are ususally at highway robbery prices.
    And, they certainly aren't rocket science.

This is the fry cutter I purchased It takes some strength to use:
    upload_2022-8-30_17-14-3.png
    For this method uniformity helps.​

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  6. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

Today's cook is a recipe near and dear; one of the first 'advanced' recipes I ever attempted, braised short rib chuck roast. Its been about 6 months since I made this, and Im eager to see how my progress has developed.
    As a base recipe, Im using Not Another Cooking Show - a favorite youtuber - and his recipe, but with personal embellishment.

Note: Im in no hurry, and will be editing this post liberally

Wew lorde (the artist not the deity) today was a DAY. Lets recap.

I started with the dry brine I mentioned. It worked well, and the meat was rosy, almost candy red, how I like it. I then cut it into strip steaks, for ease of searing. After dredging in flour, I put a good brown on them, before starti g on the mire poix.
    I like that term, mire poix. Its much fancier than saying 'onions, celery, carrot, and garlic.'
    But anyway, I cooked the mire poix in the burnt fondt of the seared meat.
    Cuz flavor.
    And then, I cooked them on med heat till they were right. Ive done this recipe a lot, so 'right' is when I say it is. But, when fondt develops, that means the time is right.
    Diverging from the recipe, I opted for a 1/2 mix of siracha cili oil and olive oil.
    It was a good idea.
    Then, I slow-simmered my veg until it was time to get drunk, and by that I mean submerged in about 60% of a bottle of merlot. Other reds and whites can work, but thats my go to.
    So after the booz burned off the booz (Fs in the chat) I added a whole quart of beef stock, and the submerged the sfeaks.
    Then, once it came to a boil, into the oven at 350 for 2 hours 3.5 hours.
    Why longer? Ill tell you when I make bolognese.
    Anyway, 3.5 hours later they came out. Wait, no, they came out after 3 hours, the lid came off, and then went back in for another 30 min. Texture.

So, the meat was done, but Im a percectionist,... so
    Remove the meat and set aside, strain the sauce and veg mix (italians call this Espaniol sauce, or brown sauce) and set in separate carafes.
    Then, put the steained brown sauce in the freezer. Yes, the freezer.
    It takes about 40 minutes, but it makes skimmkng the fat of SOOOO much easier. So plan ahead, so u can be lazy.

Fat is gone, heat everything on low, make some quick mashed potatoes, and then watch as everyone's faces explode from flavor. Being honest, I tend to use instant mashed potatoes, and did so in this case.
    Again, WIP. Its been a long day, and not only do I have to spell correct the shit, but theres pictures and proprietary technique to interject. Dont worry, Ill finish. ALL this tomorrow, after the grilled cheese sandwiches.

And then, I can detail how monumental the concept of mise en placé is to cooking/metaphysics. Cheers!

Some in progress images:
    20220828_143110.jpg 20220828_143223.jpg 'steaks', cut up, dredged, seared, and peppered, and the mire poix after combining with the sear fondt.
    20220828_144624.jpg
    And then the mire poix fully prepped and ready for the wine.
    Speaking of fondt, if one is a bit of a sperg like I am and have to hover over the pot, I advise spooning the sauce and liquid up the sides of the pot and allow it to dry, effectively increasing the amount of fondt that is contained in the braising liquid.

Now then. When it came to the mire poix I used a 1lb yellow onion, 2 carrots (one huge, one pretty small), and 2 long celery stalks. I opted for peanut oil; I'm out of avocado oil, but otherwise would have used that.
    For salt: with the exception of the dry brine of the roast, I opted for Rosemary salt as presented by another foodie tuber here:

Though, I forgot to get fresh sage, so I went with fresh thyme (and IMO, why wouldnt you? Sage is bland).
    I only had about a 1/4 tube of tomato paste, so I included a can of diced tomatoes. Thats all I can think of wrt the braising liquid that I haven't already stated.

When finished, I strained out the carrots, onions, celery and tomato, and then returned the espagnole (brown) sauce to the leftover roast. I personally like the COCT (oh dear, I hope that doesnt get memed) so I put some on MY portion, but others in the house prefer it without.
    Uhhhhhhhh,... I did do chives on the mashed potatoes as well, so the thumbnail of the short rib video looks more or less the finished product of the first night.

Now for the sammiches. Gruyere is A. expensive, and B. often unavailable in East Texas, so I went with an italian blend including mozzarella, pecorino, parmesean,... some others I forget. Also, since I had half a head of Romaine lettuce, I used that (also because good LUCK finding watercress in East Texas) after cutting out the spines of the leaves and then coarsely chopping it. In place of the blackberry preserves, I instead went with a jalapeno bacon jelly that was being promo'd in a local curio-type store, and for the mayo to brown the bread I used Garlic/Avocado aoli on my mates' sammich, and on mine I went with the good ol' Ghost pepper aoli.
    Oh, and the pickled onions. I only had a tiny bit of red wine vinegar, but I have several other types and opted for a blend, pictured here:
    20220827_193849.jpg 20220827_202645.jpg

I THINK that's everything. Now all that's left to do is explain how this 3-day process was both designed to make/serve delicious food for those I care about, but also a literal metaphysical spell/ritual which is analogous of what I'll be doing over the next 30 years. ^_^

Attached Files:

• Masterpiece Masterpiece x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  7. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

So for tonight's smash burger (smash burgers are a given on monday nights):
    Bun
    Mayo
    Ketchup
    Lettuce
    Smoked Ham
    Onions/Bell peppers
    American Cheese
    Doritos Dust
    1/4lb Smashburger Patty
    Onions/Bell Peppers
    Bun

The mayo and ketchup add a hint of creaminess and tangy sweet. The Smoked Ham gives a slight savory element. The dual layer of grilled onions and bell peppers give a variety of flavors and moisture, to mingle with the melted American cheese and the dorito's dust. The patty gives the juice to the whole thing.
    I've experimented previously with a mix of onions and bell peppers, and have had some great success. Idk if bell peppers will carmelize with peppers in the same way that onions will, but I CAN say that burger fat mixed with frying bell peppers tastes good.

8. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

The ciabatta buns are necessary in/for their constitution. They have plenty of nooks and crannies - not unlike english muffins - while having the stiffness in texture to withstand all the sauces and smears.
    The romaine was a spur choice: $0.10+ to try romaine vs iceberg. Rather, to try romaine this time; Cut at 1" strips.
    In between was a healthy dose of dorito dust... heres that btw.

Doritos Dust Recipe *
    1 cup Cheddar Cheese https://amzn.to/3zWyhr5
    1/4 cup White Cheddar https://amzn.to/3zXbSd2 1/4 cup Buttermilk Powder https://amzn.to/3pj1N5g
    2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast https://amzn.to/3dspXro
    1 tsp MSG
    2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
    2 tbsp Romano Cheese https://amzn.to/3C3TOAB
    2 tsp Smoked Paprika
    1 tbsp Onion Powder

Substitutions are encouraged, and a really good substitute for cheese powder is 'popcorn seasoning' shakers; fancy mac n cheese powders also work, but throw in a ranch mix in that event

Addendum: In the aftermath, the audience was complaining about a phenomenon that I playfully refer to as 'warm butthole'.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  9. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

What I'm looking for by repeatedly testing smash burger recipes is to test ingredient nuance. The 5 types of flavor are a given, and I pay tribute to both Spicyness (not a flavor) and texture/mouth-feel.
    But in my experience, when/how one mixes flavors determines (largely) whether the flavors can be said to go well together. As a simply example, if one mixes two sauces the flavors can combat one another, or cancel eachother out. However, if one puts one sauce on one bun, and another sauce on the other bun, they can mingle in ways that together will conflict, but with the other intermingling flavors, can be a delightful flavor experience.
    Everyone has a difference to their cooking style; I like bold and robust flavors that combat one another in the person's mouth. Literally, I like for an unhomogenized flavor spectrum that each emerges and asserts it's self as one chews and experiences the full spectrum of flavor. It is a very combatitive cooking style. But that's just how I do it.
    20220821_183441.jpg
    Tonight's result. In the moment, I also opted for a smear of sweet jalapenjo jelly on the bottom bun, and I coated the ghost pepper aoli in nacho dorito dust.
    It was reportedly spicier than I had intended, but thats cuz my mates are sissies for spice, whereas Im a spice lord for whom no spice is too great. I also added avocado slices to mine
    20220821_185649.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  10. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

Sous Vide is an excellent cooking method, I highly recommend it. The main weaknesses (manageable) is that it doesn't provide for a good sear/crust, requiring a reverse sear or in-advance sear or sear-like procedure. Blow torches are recommended, as well as things like pouring boiling water over uncooked skin to allow it to crisp up throughout the cooking process.
    But for low and slow, its hard to beat. For meats, a smoke integration is also recommended; I recommend the perforated maze-trays for cost efficiency. I mean pellet smokers are fine, egg/walnut-shaped smokers are good, and offset smokers are ideal (for flavor), but a maze-tray with pulverized hardwood on a barbecue is easy peasy and very cheap.
    If you opt for an Anova - one of the industry leaders for sous vide - please note they are NOT kidding about "max water level". What killed mine was that the screw-bracket to attach to the side of the water resevoir failed, and I tried a wire/rubber-band rig to keep using it, and it got exposed to water too high on the wand. Ultimately my bad, no fault to the manufacturer.
    But for tonight, I am continuing a trend I've been exploring for a few weeks now, the art of the Smash-Burger.
    Specifically, I have been working with Breakfast Smash Burgers (involving a sausage patty and a fried egg) and Oklahoma-style Smash Burgers (involving beef, specifically a 27/73% blend of fat to meat).
    Tonight is breakfast smash burgers.
    One of my favorite things about either form of smash burger is the cost efficiency. Let me break it down.
    Ciabatta buns (not a must, but not exceedingly costly): $2 ($3 for the package, but only 2/3 required per meal)
    American Cheese (a must): $.70 ($2, but only 1/3 required per meal)
    Ghost Pepper Aoli (not a must, but necessary): ~$.30 (the jar is $7, but it only takes a smear per sandwich)
    Smoked Ham lunchmeat (not a must, but a really good idea): ~$.50 ($2.20 per package, when purchased in bulk through Tyson Distribution, which I have an account with, and only 2 slices per sandwich).
    Sausage Patty (its not a smash breakfast sandwich without): ~$1.90 ($16 for a 9-pack of 1 lb rolls, also purchased through Tyson Distribution)
    Shredded Potato Hashbrowns (primary source of texture, don't skip this one): ~ $.60 ($2 per bag, but again, portions).
    1/2 Yellow Onion, ribbon-cut (absolutely necessary): ~$.50 ($1 for one whole)
    Nacho Dorito Dust (highly optional): ~$.15 (after about $5 to make the mix)
    1/2 Orange Bell Pepper, ribbon cut (fine addition to the onions): ~$.65
    and 4-8 eggs, depending on how thicc I want the sandwiches to be. So, between $.6 and $1.2, depending.
    Final tally for everything: $7.90-8.50 for all sandwiches.
    Which equates to, about $2 per sandwich.
    Not the MOST optimum home economics breakdown, but quite actionable and sustainable.
    And for the record, the last time I made these sandwiches, I filled myself TWICE off mine. Meaning, I ate half for dinner and was full, and then ate the other half the following morning for breakfast, and was full until the evening.
    I know you know Rose, and I hope the audience appreciates, the less processed and the more fresh the food one makes, the better it is for flavor AND nutrition.
    1/2 Head Romaine Lettuce (Eh, your call): ~$.80 (of $1.80).

So doing the math, 4 really fancy breakfast sandwiches comes out to:
    ~$2 per sandwich. Not the ideal home economical breakdown, but VERY sustainable and viable.
    Not to mention, its all fresh ingredients excepting the shredded potatoes (I could, but I dont feel like it right now). I know you know Rose, but for the audience, the more fresh and raw one's ingredients, the better the flavor AND nutrition. The last time I made this sandwich, it filled me twice: I ate half for dinner (to fullness) and then ate the other half for breakfast (also to fullness).
    20220817_182545.jpg 20220817_182820.jpg 20220817_190202.jpg
    Previous iterations of sammich

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  11. Rose

I had no idea what a sous vide is, Shezbeth. How interesting! I need one!

I love kitchen appliances. Mostly due to the fact that this old farmhouse still has the original Chambers range.

This one:
    [​IMG]

There is a broiler under that grill on the left and a well in the back on the right. Three gas burners, a highly insulated oven on the left and storage on the right. It is hot! This oven is used as near the only heat source in the winter supplemented by small portable room electric heaters. The sandstone exterior of the cottage is fantastic insulation. But, in summer, I barely use the stove and have been relying on an air fryer oven, and two sizes crock pot slow cookers and a great revolving pizza oven (has many other uses).

My brother grills and smokes meats to perfection and convinced me I absolutely must get a grill and start grilling years ago, so I purchased one. It seemed like a lot of trouble and smoke and everything, but I tried it. Unfortunately a pack of vicious dogs were drawn over and killed seven llamas. I gave up on the idea after that.

I have found lately that ground beef is so expensive it is much more economical to purchase roasts on sale. I have been going for cheap cuts, shoulder and chuck. and cooking them 8 hours in the slow cooker to use for sandwiches and in other recipes such as enchiladas, chili, pasta sauces. I enjoy being left with an ample amount of beef broth for soups and sauces or something. When I cook in the large slow cooker I just put whole potatoes on the bottom with a large chopped onion, maybe carrots, and the roast on top. 4 cups of water and 1/4 cup of this:

upload_2022-8-7_19-21-11.png

Normally I cook in quantity and freeze in portions. My freezer is by far the neatest spot in my home. Those rows go all the way to the back like a filing system except in one area where roasts are now. Everything is very basic. I am a cook who generally wants to preprepare to be able to put meals together quickly. We dine late here. I enjoy my lengthy evening soaks in a small sunken whirlpool with surrounding desk area that is a place in my living area like some might have a sofa and coffee table.

upload_2022-8-7_19-36-31.png

I think I definitely need one of those sous vide now. That could be a grand improvement!

12. Shezbeth

Shezbeth Zonbi Ninshu

I cooked a brisket point over the last 2 days. It was entirely an experiment; it was not a complete success, but it was an overall success, and I learned alot from the experience. Beyond the satisfaction of making delicious food, the real satisfaction is from learning new things, that when things go awry, one isnt totally screwed.
    Cuz that happened too.
    Ive taken to sous vide for many of my more ambitious recipes, I very much like the precise control that is afforded, and doing all my prep work well in advance so that I ca set the food and forget really works with my schedule of responsibilities. Lately however, I was informed that one can use a sous vide setup to cook confit style. All you do is add enough of any type of fat/oil to the bag and then run as usual. Instead of the food being vaccum sealed to the bag, and cooking directly, the food will cook in the fat, but without using ex essive amouns of oil such as a more conventional confit setup. A week ago I made some crispy chicken and garlic confit, with rosemary and thyme. That one onky cooked for about 6 hours, but on a tip frm youtubers I saved the garlic and confit oil.
    Fast forward, while digging throug my freezer I found a Brisket point that was starting to freezer burn, and I decided to try making a garlic brisket confit. As I said, it worked. Its nothing like southern barbeque, but the garlic flavor is clear but mild. It definitely needs seasoning or sauce, but the texture is there even without a pronounced bark.
    The problem was, about 4 hours into the 18+ hour cook, my sous vide circulator died. Specifically, the heating element went out.
    Shit.
    Now, I KNOW that I need to keep it at around 175deg to get my desired texture, and I also know that the brisket CANT get below 140, or bacteria will start to work on thr brisket. Now, I DONT know how bacteria is supposed to have survived the 175deg unified teperature, but I guess I dont need to.
    Anyway, I was able to monkey-rig my tamale pot on the largest stove burner at JUST the right temperaure setting to keep it going through the evening, throughout the night, and into the morning, waking every couple hours to check the temperature.
    And like I said, it worked. My household was greeted with garlic brisket and eggs in the morning, and theres still plenty leftover for sandwiches and Egg Fried Rice for the next day or two.
    Seat of your pants cooking is my absolute favorite.
    1st pic, a happy brisket boat with butter, going into the broiler to crisp up the fat cap
    2nd pic, just out
    3rd pic, cut and plated for serving 20220807_075114.jpg 20220807_080357.jpg 20220807_082124.jpg

• love it! love it! x 1
  13. beans

beans Member

A couple of years ago I discovered turnips and they are now one of my very favorite vegetables. Much to Phil's chagrin... Here's one of my favorite recipes:

several turnips cut into chunks (bite size pieces)
    Put them in a frying pan and cover with water half-way up the turnips.
    Add a couple tablespoons or so of butter, a teaspoon of salt and a good wallop of honey.
    Boil gently until the water has gone and your left with a nice glaze on the turnips.

YUM!

I need more turnip recipes. Must eat more turnips...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rose , I think a cooking progam , or at least an additive thats safe list...your great at this.

A list even..a good progam subject (radio) you are very knowledgable.

Just a thought.
    thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Rose

[​IMG] . I realized today I left an important ingredient out of my last smoothie recipe . [​IMG]

If you are into such things:

Chia gel is excellent for texture and healthy properties of smoothies:
    So add: 3T chilled Chia Gel to last recipe...

[​IMG]

chia2.JPG

chia.JPG

Just store in jar in refrigerator for your smoothies.

(Can also be used as an egg subsitute in some recipes)

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  16. Rose

Also...
    Had this dish last night and it was good.
    Don't remember the exact recipe, lol

Luckily i had extra delightfully tender yet crispy Rose's chicken in the fridge. :)

Sauce: cheef

So sauteed chopped onion and garlic in some butter
    added tablespoon or so of whole wheat flour
    some water, greek yogurt
    to desired consistency, then
    salt, pepper, spices to taste ccchhhhfff

chicken cut in cubes
    assembled as basic enchilada recipe
    except swiss cheese on the inside
    just the sauce on the the outside.
    .........................eaat1

• love it! love it! x 1
  17. Rose

This is my new favorite smoothie lately[​IMG]

1 C Chilled water
    1/2 C Plain greek yogurt
    1 1/2 T Raw organic cacao powder
    1/2 C Frozen Blueberries
    1 Sliced Frozen Banana
    10 drops Stevia Extract

Blend in blender :)
    Sort of like a Chocolate Malt
    Delicious!
    Energizing!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rose

Atticus' Chirozo Pizza Recipe

arecipe1.JPG
    arecipe2.JPG
    arecipe3.JPG

19. beans

beans Member

I tried an eggplant recipe tonight. It is good! Thought I'd share it - it's from epicurious:
    INGREDIENTS
    • 6 tablespoons shiro miso* (white fermented soybean paste)
    • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons water
    • 3 3/4 teaspoons sugar
    • 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for brushing pan
    • 6 Asian eggplants(about 8 inches), halved lengthwise
    • 2 scallions, finely chopped

PREPARATION
    Preheat broiler.

Whisk together shiro miso, vinegar, water, sugar, and ginger until sugar is dissolved.

Brush a large shallow baking pan with oil and arrange eggplant, cut sides up, in pan. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons oil (total). Broil eggplant 4 to 6 inches from heat until it begins to turn pale golden and soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Brush generously with miso mixture and broil 2 minutes more. Brush eggplant with miso again and rotate pan 180 degrees (do not turn eggplant over), then continue to broil until eggplant is tender and glaze is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I must look into importing those..
    I think I'll start a site ,

The Popcorn.company

I'll buy that later .

I have a server , I give space on it to worthwhile causes , for free.
    This seems like a worthwhile cause..lol.
    To me anyway.

Incidently , if you have an idea , it's not crazy , well a little bit crazy..
    Ask me, I might point you at someone who will help..
    Or at least give you some great advice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Rose

thheeatr Popcorn

I had an epic bowl of popcorn last night...
    while chatting with friends listening to a fascinating story.

Guess what i discovered?
    That Creole Seasoning recipe posted above tastes great on popcorn!

I am a bit of a popcorn connoisseur.
    Grocery store popcorn tastes like styrofoam to me.
    Many people do not know there are so many varieties of popcorn.
    Blue, Yellow, White, Red, Black... all with distinct flavors and textures
    And, what is fabulous is that some of them don't even have annoying hulls that get stuck in the teeth.

These people have great varieties in bulk.
    They seem to stay fresh forever.
    I repackage them in empty 54 oz Nutiva coconut oil jars.
    BTW popcorn absolute must be popped in coconut oil.

http://amishcountrypopcorn.com/

popcorn.JPG

The midnight blue, and ladyfinger are my favorites. Yellow is very good too.
    Ladyfinger is a tender, hulless, quite small variety for dainty hands.
    Midnight Blue is larger, blue in color, crisper and almost hulless.
    I see they have a new Mushroom variety, hmmmm, must try that.

Fireworks brand is rather premium priced usually unless you can find a sale at Amazon:

popcorn2.jpg

High Mountain Midnight and Wisconsin White Birch are my personal Fireworks favorites.

But whatever popcorn you have, you must try that Creole seasoning on it!

• love it! love it! x 2
    • Applause Applause x 1
  22. Rose

I like to have smoothies for breakfast. cooldrink

I am sure everyone here already knows how to make smoothies...
    This one is so enjoyable I will mention it.
    And, I would like to know your recipies.

First thing is: keep some frozen banana halves in the freezer.
    Just peel them, cut them in half and put them in a ziplok bag.
    They will stay good for a long time.

Second, keep some cold chia gel in the refrigerator.
    (1/3 cup chia seeds wisked into 2 cups water in a jar)

1C cold Water
    2T chia gel
    1 peeled apple cut into chunks
    1/2 frozen banana cut into pieces (it cuts fine frozen)
    1/2 C frozen blueberries
    Place in blender and blend until smooth.
    Add 6-8 drops stevia extract if additional sweetness is necessary

It is frosty and has a beautiful color.
    Very refreshing start to the day.

smoothy.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  23. Rose

I've been photographing recipes these past weeks caamra

Let me think...

Crab Etouffee last night
    It was delightful.

The first time I had an Etouffee was in the French Quarter in New Orleans.
    You can use shrimp, fish, or chicken instead of crab, all good, too.

When I post the Etoufee recipe if the photos turned out ok..
    You will need a Creole seasoning blend.
    Here's a good one:

Emeril's Essensse Creole Seasoning
    emeril.JPG

24. Danielle

Danielle Member

Burgudy Mushrooms

WINE! It's basically magic. In a glass. Or, on a plate!

We 'mericans have this holiday we call Thanksgiving. It's basically evolved into a celebration of glutoney. Unfortunately, or fortunately for my figure, my Mom and Sister are fully vegetarian. So a holiday normally consumed with the preparation of huge turkeys or honey ham, for us is all about the "side" dishes most would use to accompany these items. The way those two women cook vegetables leaves nothing to be desired! Seriously! And my absolute favorite dish is Burgundy Mushrooms! OMG! I'm excited to share this one! My husband really really dislikes mushrooms but this recipe is the only mushroom dish he will gorge himself on.

Take this recipe that is meant for 4 people and halve or quarter your ingredients as needed.

Ingredients:

2lbs White Button Mushrooms ( sometimes I use the brown ones too, so long as they're button shaped )

1/2 litre Burgundy Wine ( The cheap kind! If you want some to drink along the way you should have plenty because I have never seen it sold in less than a liter, and these take a LOOOONG time to cook so have fun!)

2 Cloves of Garlic

4 vegetable bullion cubes (or, 2 chicken 2 beef, if you prefer)

1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 teaspoon dill

1 stick Butter

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

2 cups boiling water

Salt to taste

Preparation:

1) smash your garlic and mince a little, it's only in there for the flavor so don't worry about chopping it well

2) Keep those mushrooms whole! don't cut them, just wash them.

3) In Crockpot add 2 cups water, burgundy wine, butter, mushrooms, worcestershire sauce, dill, pepper, garlic and bullion cubes.

4) Let simmer for 6 hours! (this is the part where you partake of the leftover wine!). You might want to stir halfway through, that's fine, I always do.

5) After 6 hours, salt to taste. The mushrooms will be dark purple. Let cool for 5 mins because those mushrooms are pretty much the temperature of the sun!

6) Serve with crusty bread or just by themselves. But the bread is recommended for sopping up the deliciousness.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Rose

I am putting enchiladas together tonight. cchheeff
    Refer to previous sauce recipe.

The sauce (without tomatoes and green chilis this time) and browned ground beef with onions and green bell peppers were prepared yesterday.
    Didn't have any tortillas so the makings were refrigerated until today.

There are several ways to prepare these, an entire batch in the oven, but this is a quick easy way.
    Wrap tortillas in a moist paper towel, place in a bowl with cover and microwave for 1 minute to soften before preparation.
    Get all your ingredients together, prepare enchiladas as shown adding about 1/3 cup of filling on top of cheese.
    Sometimes I use a veggie filling or, other types of meat, if I am in the mood. It is fun to experiment with these

ench3.jpg

Roll them up. I make 10-12 and refrigerate or freeze them partially prepared without sauce like this.
    They will keep a long time in the freezer and a few days in the refrigerator.
    Add a dab of extra sauce after folding once to hold them together if necessary.

enc1.jpg

Place sauce on the bottom of a pottery bowl or plate under where the enchiladas will be placed.
    Add more sauce and some cheese on top of them, brown rice and beans on the side maybe.
    Cover with an inverted salad plate and microwave for 3 to four minutes depending on your microwave.
    I have not heated these yet but the cheese will melt and they will be beautiful.
    Add a green salad with guacamole, or whatever you like, for a quick and easy meal... and several more. winee

ench2.jpg

• love it! love it! x 2
    • brilliant brilliant x 1
  26. Rose

Enchilada Sauce:

In a small bowl mix 2 T wheat flour and 2 t red chili powder
    In another small bowl mix 1t Cumin Powder, 1/8t ground red pepper, 1t salt, 1t onion powder, 1t garlic powder

Heat 2T Olive Oil in a saucepan on medium heat until hot.
    Wisk in the contents of the first bowl until well heated and aromatic

Add 2 C water or stock if you have some
    Cook on medium heat and continue wisking while it thickens.

Add contents of second bowl of seasonings and 2T tomato paste "cubes" discussed earlier in this thread.

Now, you can just add another 1/2c water/stock or...

a can of Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
    (or fresh equivalent)
    Continue cooking until thick.
    Adjust seasonings for you taste.

So, you now have enchilada sauce...
    enchi.jpg

easy enchilada preparation soon

• love it! love it! x 1
    • listening listening x 1
  27. Rose

I 've been dipping the edges of walnut halves into royal jelly and then into a saucer of ground cloves with my morning tea

beep.png

:) Delightful and Invigorating :)

• Like Like x 3
  28. Rose

OK. The enchilada sauce will require 1 tablespoon of tomato paste...

Where do I get just 1 tablespoon of tomato paste you might ask as I have done.

Problem. Reaction. Solution..

Open one large can of tomato paste.
    Place tablespoon sized mounds in a shallow plastic container and freeze.
    Voila. Need a little extra tomato flavor and thickness for sauces, soups, stews, salsa that came out a little too thin?
    Pop in one or two of your frozen tomato paste "cubes".

danzerr

• Like Like x 1
    • love it! love it! x 1
  29. Rose

Thanks I have just never heard of using vinegar in mashed potatoes before. It sounds good. :)

So does your chicken method.
    The crust looks light and delicate.

I have a small deep fat fryer.
    But, still it uses a lot oil.
    The instructions say to let the oil cool, strain it...
    And store it in the refrigerator.
    That is a lot trouble, and I don't have a lot of room in the refrigerator, so I don't do it.
    Then sometimes, the chicken tastes like fish, or vice versa, if I reuse the oil.
    Do you have a solution for those problems?

I was just reminded....
    At one time, years ago
    I submitted recipes to Heathy Eating type magazines for fun and very small profit.
    I once won for an opposite method chicken recipe from yours.
    I marinated the chicken in (i forget what now?) and steamed it until almost done
    Then finished it up by coating it with seasoned flour and lightly pan frying.
    So, very little oil absorbed into the chicken.
    Haven't thought of that in a while....
    It was pretty good.
    foooood

• Like Like x 1
  30. Yes sorry , new to this lol.
    Well it is up to you...
    The vinegar , well you need to smell it when your doing it, say a tablespoon at least.. But it depends on how much your making , as I said try and see what ya taste buds say to you, lol.
    As far as thickness , I would say at least an inch..
    But again , nothing hard and fast..
    We also do a curry version with Bombay potatoes. Which is nice , for a change.

Hope that is helpful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1